The following are obvious truths to all rational, decent and civilized people:
- Every alleged crime should be thoroughly and impartially investigated by experts.
- The accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Everyone deserves their day in court; everyone has the right to cross examine witnesses, challenge evidence of their guilt, and present evidence of their innocence; no one should be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law.
- No one person or entity should serve as judge, jury and executioner.
- Just constitutions, laws, regulations and procedures should always be adhered to, especially by people in positions of power and influence.
- The punishment should fit the crime.
- Transparency and accountability should mark all juridical proceedings.
All of the above were clearly violated by Trump in his immoral, illegal and unconstitutional rush to attack Syria, killing innocents in the process. Now Trump and his cronies – presumptive war criminals, like their predecessors – are launching new assaults on decency and rationality by trying to provide – rather, slowly leak – ex post facto and ad hoc rationalizations for their prior decision to kill, complete with silly war propaganda phrases like “the Syrian regime”.
At the risk of missing the forest (Trump’s blatant violation of all that’s obviously rational and good) for the trees (detailed refutations of the latest cooked up rationalization for manifest evil), I give you selected recent posts, articles and interviews with non-partisan experts, Dr. Meryl Nass and Dr. Theodore Postol:
The interested reader can find more of their work and analyses on the web.
Significantly, neither Dr. Postol or Dr. Nass seem to get much air time with the MSM.